1 (edited by wspollack 2015-01-14 01:12:11)

Topic: showInfoButton=FALSE: Info Disappears in 4 Seconds [SOLVED]

I upgraded to 1.4.3 today and noticed what I think is a bug. At least I don't think this is what's supposed to happen. Incidentally, I skipped over 1.4.2, so I can't say for certain that this quirk was introduced in the latest release.

I have many similar web pages, and in some of them (for reasons that escape me, or maybe this was just a mistake) I have showInfoButton=FALSE. For those pages, and given my other configuration options, if you load the page AND have the cursor somewhere in the viewing stage, the caption and other overlay information appear for about four seconds, and then disappear. Moving the mouse will bring back all of this information, for another four seconds (assuming you don't touch the mouse again, after moving it).

Here is a page that exhibits this behavior: http://www.billanddot.com/Victory-Garage-Door-Opener/

And here is a page that doesn't exhibit this behavior, but has an identical list of configuration options, with the exception that showInfoButton=TRUE: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/

I tested this, with identical results, on the latest versions of Firefox and Opera, on my Windows Vista PC.

If this is the intended behavior -- i.e., a feature, not a bug -- pardon the post. I read through http://www.juicebox.net/support/config_options/ pretty carefully, and I didn't see any indication of a four-second rule.

Cheers,

Bill P.

Re: showInfoButton=FALSE: Info Disappears in 4 Seconds [SOLVED]

This is actually a new feature whereby the overlay will auto-hide after a specified amount of time when the Info Button is not used and inactivity is detected. The configuration option which controls the amount of time is inactivityTimeout.

It is listed as the 4th entry in the v1.4.3 Version History list and can be found in the 'Customize -> Main Image' section of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro. (This could easily be overlooked so thank you for posting and giving me the opportunity to explain a little about this new functionality.)

A short description of inactivityTimeout can be found in the Main Image section of the Config Options page.

Number of seconds of inactivity before overlay is hidden. Set to 0 to disable inactivity timeout.

The default value for inactivityTimeout is 4 (seconds) but you can disable this timeout functionality by setting inactivityTimeout="0".

Steven, thanks for pointing this out. I guess I didn't read the options page as carefully as I thought.

Am I correct in that inactivityTimeout=0 is not needed when showInfoButton=TRUE has been set? At least this seems to be the case in my second example, right? This -- no hiding via a timeout -- is what I want, so put another way: if I just change showInfoButton from False to True in that first example, I'll be all set, right?

Thanks for your time.

Bill P.

Am I correct in that inactivityTimeout=0 is not needed when showInfoButton=TRUE has been set?

That is correct.
inactivityTimeout works only when showImageOverlay="AUTO" and showInfoButton="FALSE" so other ways to disable the timeout would be to set showImageOverlay="ALWAYS" or showImageOverlay="NEVER" or showInfoButton="TRUE".

Steven wrote:

Am I correct in that inactivityTimeout=0 is not needed when showInfoButton=TRUE has been set?

That is correct.
inactivityTimeout works only when showImageOverlay="AUTO" and showInfoButton="FALSE" so other ways to disable the timeout would be to set showImageOverlay="ALWAYS" or showImageOverlay="NEVER" or showInfoButton="TRUE".

Thanks again, Steven.

Bill P.