Topic: Extremely Slow loading time

The portfolio on my photography site is taking and extremely long time to lad about 50% of the time.  The longest wait was 5 minutes.  I have greatly reduced the file sizes and the number of photos in the gallery and the fastest it is able to load is 9-20 seconds as of moments ago I gave up after waiting for 2 minutes for it to load.  In this day and age that is simply too long, I'm afraid people will move on to another photographers site.  I have done speed tests on the internet connection and it has been consistently super fast.
Also is there a way to get a preview image- I have one set but it is just a black dark box until the shots load- it appears to wait until every shot in the entire gallery is loaded before the first shot is shown- that can't be right can it?
And a long wait time is experienced when going from the simple view to the full screen.
http://www.headshots-newyork.com/portfolio

Re: Extremely Slow loading time

It looks like you are using WP-Juicebox v1.4.2.0 and your images are sourced by NextGEN Gallery.
Please try upgrading to the latest version of WP-Juicebox (v1.4.2.1) which can be downloaded from the plugin's support page here.
Changes were made between v1.4.2.0 and v1.4.2.1 which should hopefully significantly speed up the loading of your NextGEN Gallery images.
You will not need to modify any of your galleries but you will need to ensure that you upgrade the Lite 'jbcore' folder within the plugin's files with your own 'Pro' version. (Instructions for upgrading WP-Juicebox to Juicebox-Pro can also be found on the plugin's support page.)
I do not know if this will solve the problem you report on expanding the gallery but you might like to try setting imagePreloading="NEXT" (in the Pro Options settings window) so that the browser preloads only one image at a time. (The default setting for imagePreloading is PAGE and this preloads all images on the current thumbnail page.)

3 (edited by wspollack 2014-09-27 20:17:04)

Steven, you're getting punchy, or maybe you had a senior moment, if you're old enough for that.

You meant to say that the default for imagePreloading is PAGE, not NEXT, right?

Bill

Well spotted! I've corrected my post above. Thanks!

I'm hopeful that upgrading to WP-Juicebox v1.4.2.1 will solve the original posters problems.
Tweaking the imagePreloading config option is just something else to try to see if it makes any difference. Under normal circumstances, leaving imagePreloading at the default setting of PAGE should not slow down the initial loading of a gallery noticeably (and it should actually help to speed up navigation throughout images on the first thumbnail page).