1 (edited by jpk 2014-08-20 21:55:46)

Topic: Need help with some issues

Hi!

I purchased JuiceboxPro and made some galleries. There are some issues I would like to fix:

1.) When the next image is displayed it moves a tiny bit (only 2 pixels or so) which looks nervous. Is it possible to get the image change perfectly trouble-free?

2.) Image caption is not exactly on the same level as image number "1/120", always a few pixels different. I want to have these 2 things in the same font and on the same level. Is that possible?

3.) Thumbs load with a noticeable delay. It should be possible without waiting ~4 seconds prior to loading!

4.) On mobile devices zoom is disabled - is it possible to enable zoom?

5.) On mobile devices: swiping images doesn't work smooth, it's always a bit jerky - how can I get image changes smooth?

6.) On mobile devices: if I switch off the button bar, swipe to the next image and switch the button bar on again, the "open image-link in new page" button doesn't return. Is there a fix for that?

Here is my configuration file:

backButtonPosition="OVERLAY"
    backButtonUseIcon="true"
    galleryTitlePosition="NONE"
    enableDirectLinks="true"
    useFullscreenExpand="true"
    captionPosition="BELOW_THUMBS"
    showImageNav="false"
    autoPlayThumbs="false"
    showAutoPlayStatus="false"
    loopAudio="false"
    addSEOContent="false"
    showSplashPage="NEVER"
    splashShowImageCount="false"
    flickrShowTitle="false"
    importCaption="FILENAME"
    importTitle="NONE"
    imageTransitionType="NONE"
    imagePreloading="NEXT"
    imageTransitionTime="0"
    imageNavPosition="IMAGE"
    navButtonIconSize="10"
    imageShadowBlur="5"
    showSmallThumbsOnLoad="false"
    showSmallThumbsButton="false"
    showSmallPagingText="false"
    thumbSelectedFrameWidth="4"
    thumbShadowBlur="0"
    buttonBarIconSize="25"
    maxCaptionHeight="40"
    showSmallBackButton="true"
    backButtonUrl="http://www.mywebsite.com"
    resizeOnImport="false"
    maxImageWidth="1200"
    maxImageHeight="1200"
    imageQuality="90"
    thumbWidth="100"
    thumbHeight="100"
    thumbHoverFrameWidth="4"

The image blocks look like this:

<image imageURL="images/L1001818.jpg"
    thumbURL="thumbs/L1001818.jpg"
    linkURL="images/L1001818.jpg"
    linkTarget="_blank"
    sourcePath="E:\photos\L1001818.jpg">
    <title><![CDATA[]]></title>
    <caption><![CDATA[L1001818]]></caption>
  </image>

Re: Need help with some issues

It sounds like you may have purchased Juicebox-Pro recently but if not, please ensure that you are using the current version (v1.4.2) to ensure that any bugs which were present in previous versions but which have since been fixed are not contributing to your problems.
If necessary, instructions for upgrading can be found here.

(1) Try viewing your gallery in different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari) to see if your problem is visible in all browsers. Also, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look for myself.

(2) If you want to tweak the position and/or style of your gallery's image titles and captions, then you can use HTML formatting as documented in this FAQ (using inline CSS properties such as margin and padding as necessary).

(3) The speed at which images load will be dependent on a number of factors:

• The speed of your web server.

• The speed of your internet connection.

• The file size of the images in your gallery.

• The value of the imagePreloading configuration option.

You have little or no control over the first two factors but make sure that your images are not too large (creating a gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's default settings should produce images of approximately 120KB each which should be suitable for web gallery use in most cases) and try changing imagePreloading (in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Main Image' section) from its default value of PAGE to NEXT so that only the first couple of images in the gallery (rather than all the images on the first thumbnail page) are preloaded when the gallery is initially displayed. This might help speed up the initial display of the gallery.

(4) Pinch-zoom is not actually disabled but the start of a pinch-zoom gesture is likely to be interpreted as the start of a gallery-specific gesture (such as a swipe to navigate between images). If you are very precise, you might be able to pinch-zoom within a gallery. However, there is nothing that can be done to override the current behavior.

(5) This will be partially dependent on the device/hardware being used to display the gallery and the browser, too.
All you can do to maximize the smoothness is to minimize the load on the browser by ensuring that your images are not too large (again, a file size of between 100KB and 120KB should be about right for most scenarios). Preloading images (setting imagePreloading to either PAGE or ALL) may also help (but might slow down the initial gallery display).

(6) Thank you for providing your gallery's configuration options. I have been able to replicate the problem in a test gallery of my own and have logged a bug report with the developers. It looks like the problem is caused by setting showSmallThumbsButton="FALSE". Hopefully the bug will be fixed in the next version of Juicebox-Pro but, in the meantime, the only workaround would be to set showSmallThumbsButton="TRUE". (I realise that you would rather not use this setting but it appears to be the only way around the problem until it is fixed.)

3 (edited by jpk 2014-08-22 15:00:34)

Many thanks for your extensive answer! I reworked my galleries, please see here:

www.junkeller.at/kenya_favs

Login = juicebox
Password = support

BTW, there is a difference if the link looks like this:

www.junkeller.at/kenya_favs/#1

In the first case captions do not apear...

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve regarding my initial post. I changed the image sizes so that they are smaller than 200K and changed the small-thumbs-button option to true.

Just a last question: does the juicebox gallery load code from outside the space where it is installed?

In the first case captions do not apear...

Thank you for reporting this issue. It seems to be a bug caused by the combination of setting captionPosition="BELOW_THUMBS" in conjunction with showSmallThumbsOnLoad="FALSE".
I have logged a bug report with the developers and it should hopefully be fixed in the next version of Juicebox.

In the meantime, a possible solution for your gallery would be to set captionPosition="BOTTOM". When setting thumbsPosition="BOTTOM" (as your gallery currently does), setting captionPosition="BOTTOM" places the caption in the same place as setting captionPosition="BELOW_THUMBS".

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve regarding my initial post.

Your gallery seems to load swiftly in browsers on my PC and your images look to be of an acceptable file-size and resolution for web gallery use. However, as you are a Juicebox-Pro user, you might like to take advantage of Juicebox-Pro's Multi-Size Image Support where you provide 3 different sizes of images in your gallery and Juicebox decides which size to use depending on which Screen Mode is used (which, in turn, is dependent on the user's device and screen size). Please see here for more information.

Just a last question: does the juicebox gallery load code from outside the space where it is installed?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Juicebox waits until the web page has been fully parsed by the browser and the Document Object Model  is complete before sizing the gallery container appropriately and dynamically replacing the content of the container (which may be empty or may contain SEO content) with the gallery itself.

Many thanks for the excellent support!

Steven wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Juicebox waits until the web page has been fully parsed by the browser and the Document Object Model  is complete before sizing the gallery container appropriately and dynamically replacing the content of the container (which may be empty or may contain SEO content) with the gallery itself.

Let me try to clarify my question: I wanted to know if the gallery uses code which loads from outside the webspace where it's installed. An example for this would be if an element of a gallery on my website www.junkeller.at/gallery/some-juicbox-script.js refers to www.juicebox.net/codebase/engine.js

Sorry for my poor English, I hope you can understand what I mean!

Thank you for clarifying.
Juicebox does not load any code from any external websites. When you embed a Juicebox gallery in your web site, the gallery is entirely self-contained. The only references to other web sites would be in standard HTML hyperlinks that you may use within your gallery (and the link back to our own website from the Juicebox branding in Juicebox-Lite galleries).

Hi again! I have one more issue about loading: there are people from countrys far away such as Thailand: they can see the gallery, but every 10th image or so does not load at all, and some of the very slow. Other files such as HTMLs are loading fast, and I ensured that there are no problems with the provider. Do you have any advice for me?

Your gallery's code and files remain constant and in an ideal world, everyone should be able to see exactly the same thing when they view your web page.
If certain users are unable to see certain images in your gallery (in an unpredictable manner), then it sounds like their browsers may be timing out before being able to complete the loading of an image. The variables in the equation are the web server the gallery is hosted on, the user's internet connection and the route that the data takes to get from one place to another.
The only thing you may have any control over in such a scenario is your own web server so perhaps you could increase the server timeout values to see if this helps. Your web host might be able to help you with this if it is at all possible.
Also, try setting imagePreloading="NEXT" (rather than PAGE) to reduce the load on the user's browser when the gallery is initially loaded. (You may already be using this value but I cannot currently log in to see your galleries and check.)

I increased the server settings, problem solved. Thank you!

That's great! Thank you for posting back to let me know.