Topic: Retina displays [SOLVED]

What does the new version of Jukebox mean for Retina (high resolution) displays?

If I upload much larger images to cater for Retina monitors and I have 'Image Preloading - ALL' in my galleries, does this mean that every visitor will be downloading Retina sized images, which will then be downscaled by their browser, or will Juicebox point the web-browser to the appropriate sized image for their monitor?

I'm concerned that when increasing the size of my images to cater for Retinas, non-Retina users are going to have a significantly slower experience, for no added benefit.

Re: Retina displays [SOLVED]

gfs:

You raise an interesting point. Are you thinking that Juicebox should add more screen sizes, i.e., in addition to Small and Large, maybe an Extra Large mode? And then have different groups of images available to be shown for each? Small screen mode doesn't currently send smaller images than Large screen, right?

I do have a question for you. I have all of my 60-some galleries coded to preload the Next image, instead of All. I'm just curious regarding your rationale of adding wait time for that first image to show up, via a potentially large preload stream. Me, I feel that it's better to give the viewer something in short order, even if that potentially means that the remaining images can't be shown as fast. And actually, my assumption -- or at least my hope -- is that the user will look long enough at each image that the next one will have time to have been preloaded.

Just curious to see under what circumstances I may be missing something.

Regards,

Bill P.

My thinking Bill, is that people don't always move around in straight lines. :)  So people go to thumbnails that are not in order.  This means that they have to wait each time for the image to load.  I have my thumbnails set to display the image on Hover, this combined with pre-load all makes for a very fluid experience ... once the initial load is done.  Also, the first page of images are there very fast and the others are fully downloaded by the time a user would navigate to the next page. 

My own feeling is that I'm happy to wait for a site to load, but once that is finished I don't want a stuttering experience.

Just to let you know, Juicebox-Pro (since v.1.40) supports multi-size images. Please see here for further details. The Screen Mode used and whether or not the gallery is being displayed on a retina screen is taken into consideration when Juicebox decides what size of image it should display in the gallery.

Thanks Steven.  I hadn't clicked on the 'Change Sizes' button, so didn't see where this feature was located.

6 (edited by gfs 2014-07-01 13:35:51)

Steven,

can you tell me at what point the largest images 'kick in'?  I'm looking at a gallery on a 1920x1200 monitor.  In full-screen mode the Large images kick-in, but when viewed normally, it's the 1024x768 images that are used.

Also ... my website puts JBx in an resizable iFrame, I'm guessing it's the size of the frame that will determine the source image size?

As far as I am aware, the largeImageURLs will be used for the main display in the gallery if the display is retina and Large Screen Mode is being used. If screenMode="AUTO", Large Screen Mode will be used only if the device is not a small-screen mobile device (for example an iPhone) and the screen width is greater than 1000px.

Steven wrote:

If screenMode="AUTO", Large Screen Mode will be used only if the device is not a small-screen mobile device (for example an iPhone) and the screen width is greater than 1000px.

Hmmm.  I am set to AUTO and my screen is 1920 wide, but the galleries are not displaying the Large images *unless* I go into full-screen/expand mode.

Any ideas?

What device are you using? Perhaps it is classified (incorrectly) within Juicebox as a small-screen device. If you let me know what device you use, I will investigate further for you.
Have you tried setting screenMode="LARGE" (in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> General' section) to see if this makes a difference?

Ahh ... okay Steven.  I'm using a MacBook Pro with an external monitor attached.

Don't you think you should be looking at the monitor dimensions instead of the device?  I could have an 11" portable with a 30" monitor.

(It makes no difference setting screenMode="LARGE")

Don't you think you should be looking at the monitor dimensions instead of the device?

Juicebox determines whether the screen being used to display the gallery is a retina display on the information provided by devicePixelRatio on the JavaScript window object. However, Juicebox chooses the Screen Mode (when screenMode="AUTO") on a number of factors, one of which is the device in use. Both a retina display and Large Screen Mode are required for largeImageUrls to be used for the main images in a gallery.
What result is returned when you run this snippet of JavaScript code in an HTML page with your external monitor attached? (A retina display should return a value of 2.)

<script>
    alert(window.devicePixelRatio);
</script>

Same problem on my side. Running on Windows Desktop with 5k screen.

screenMode="AUTO" or "LARGE" but the resulotion on Large Screen Mode are still medium.

I have run the snippet
<script>
    alert(window.devicePixelRatio);
</script>

and the answer was 2.

@martinkulhavy78

Thank you for reporting this issue.
I have notified the developers who will investigate further.

thanks, I have uploaded the gallery here:
www.martin.kulhavy.info/lofoten

Also tested with different scaling settings in Windows - I got different snippet answers (1.7, 2, 2.222),, but no change in results.

Feel free to contact me, happy to help you.

Thanks for your help.
I've been able to replicate the problem in a test gallery of my own and a bug report has now been logged.
Hopefully the problem will be fixed for the next version.

Any idea when this can be fixed? Days, weeks, months? Multiresolution was the main reason why I bought Juicebox and I don't want to wait couple months for a working version. Thanks

Unfortunately, I really do not know when this issue will be fixed or when the next version of Juicebox will be released.
There is no set release schedule and any estimate I give you could turn out to be wholly inaccurate.
It is unlikely to be a matter of days but if I said it might be a few weeks, it could turn out to be a few months (or vice versa).
I'm sorry I can't give you a better idea of how long you might have to wait.

If it's any consolation, Multi-Size Image support is not completely dysfunctional and still works OK on Apple-branded 'Retina Display' devices (both mobile and desktop), where the term 'retina' refers specifically to Apple's 'Retina Device' trademark.
However, Juicebox-Pro is not currently recognizing other, non-Apple, high-density pixel ratio devices which is the nature of the problem and the reason for the bug report.

This issue has now been fixed in Juicebox v1.5.1 which has just been released (25 August 2017).
Please see the Version History for a full list of changes.
Full instructions for upgrading can be found on the Upgrading Juicebox support page.