Topic: Version Upgrade Clarification Question and Request

I read at http://www.juicebox.net/support/#upgrade-version , regarding upgrading existing galleries: "Alternatively you can replace the jbcore folder in the existing gallery folder with the one that comes in the latest download web folder." I'd like a clarification on this, and also have a suggestion.

1) The file full.html is in the /jbcore/ directory, but not in any of my Juicebox-Pro-generated galleries (okay, to be technical, generated via jAlbum's Juicebox skin, with Pro options added). I don't suppose it's really necessary that I copy full.html over to the galleries that I've "published" to my web hosting service, right?

(By the way, could you shed some light on when this particular file gets used, as long as we're talking about it?)

2) I notice that the file /jbcore/classic/ theme-ie6.css was not changed from 1.0.2 in 1.1.0 (other than a couple of comment lines), so I'm fairly certain that that file does not need to be copied. On the other hand, /jbcore/classic/theme.css does have some (non-comment) changes, so that file seems like a candidate for copying.

And of course /jbcore/juicebox.js has changed in the new release, and so needs to be overwritten, too.

Which brings me to my suggestion. What do you think about adding some details, as part of each release's notes, regarding which specific files need to be overwritten (or possibly just added) to an existing gallery, if this alternative method of upgrading is used?

Cheers,

Bill P.

Re: Version Upgrade Clarification Question and Request

The file full.html is in the /jbcore/ directory, but not in any of my Juicebox-Pro-generated galleries (okay, to be technical, generated via jAlbum's Juicebox skin, with Pro options added).

The 'full.html' file will be in a Juicebox gallery generated by jAlbum and the Juicebox skin only if you have integrated the Juicebox-Pro v1.1.0 'jbcore' folder into the skin files. The 'full.html' file was introduced in v1.1.0.

I don't suppose it's really necessary that I copy full.html over to the galleries that I've "published" to my web hosting service, right?

That is correct. The 'full.html' file is not required for Juicebox galleries prior to v1.1.0.

(By the way, could you shed some light on when this particular file gets used, as long as we're talking about it?)

The 'full.html' file is use to better handle the display of the gallery in fullscreen mode.

2) I notice that the file /jbcore/classic/ theme-ie6.css was not changed from 1.0.2 in 1.1.0 (other than a couple of comment lines), so I'm fairly certain that that file does not need to be copied. On the other hand, /jbcore/classic/theme.css does have some (non-comment) changes, so that file seems like a candidate for copying.

And of course /jbcore/juicebox.js has changed in the new release, and so needs to be overwritten, too.

All files that have changed and all new files (such as 'full.html') need to be copied across to your gallery's existing 'jbcore' folder in order to upgrade the gallery (overwriting existing files) and all files that have not changed do not need to be copied across.

Which brings me to my suggestion. What do you think about adding some details, as part of each release's notes, regarding which specific files need to be overwritten (or possibly just added) to an existing gallery, if this alternative method of upgrading is used?

As an instruction, it is much easier to just say "copy the 'jbcore' folder" than to individually list files within the folder (and their relative locations) which must be updated.
The entire Juicebox-Pro 'jbcore' folder is less than 200KB. It would take much less time to simply upload the entire folder than to separately upload individual files within the folder and make sure that they are all uploaded to the correct subfolders.
If you wish to know which files have changed between versions, you can compare the 'jbcore' folders in a single action with a diff program such as Winmerge.