Topic: Flickr images not found

I am trying to set up a Juicebox gallery for a friend,

Flickr User name: Stephen Wood
tags: the lancet

I know that Flickr tags can take up to 48 hours to propagate, but it is now more than 48 hours since he uploaded the photos and tagged them.

When I try to build the gallery, I get the message "Flickr images not found".

This means that it can find his Flickr username, that is ok, but it can't find the images. He has set everything to be viewed publicly, I can see his photos ok on Flickr, but the Juicebox builder can't find them.

Please can you help?
Thanks!

Re: Flickr images not found

Try entering your Flickr settings into Flickr's own API Explorer to see how many (if any) images are returned. (You will need to use the Flickr User Id instead of the Flickr User Name for this.)

Also, please also see this Flickr FAQ for a few suggestions which may help:
Why aren't my photos appearing in searches or groups?

If you continue to experience difficulties, please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look and help further.

Thanks very much, the API Explorer found all the photos, and also found the tags.

The FAQ was useful too but did not answer why it's not showing up when I use the Flickr User name instead of Id.

I have just started trying to use Juicebox, so instead of using the desktop Juicebox builder, (as I can't see any way to create a gallery with the builder using Id instead of User name), I will investigate how to create a Juicebox gallery manually.

Shame it will be a bit more work, as it seemed so easy to begin with!

Thanks for your reply,

Best wishes.

OK, I can't find a way to do it manually so I've created a gallery using another flickr user, that works, and then uploaded it to my web space.

Then I've tried setting

flickrUserId="83516242@N03"

in the config,

but that just comes up with a general selection of Flickr photos.

The URL is http://talyadavies.co.uk/STEPHENAWOOD/j … ancet.html

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that your Flickr User Name has a space in it.

as I can't see any way to create a gallery with the builder using Id instead of User name

Juicebox-Pro allows you to enter your Flickr User Id instead of your Flickr User Name and I can confirm that entering your Flickr User Id in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro displays your images as expected.
For reference, the Juicebox-Pro Flickr Options can be found here.

I will investigate how to create a Juicebox gallery manually.

You can create a Juicebox gallery manually by following the instructions here.

Then I've tried setting

flickrUserId="83516242@N03"

in the config,

but that just comes up with a general selection of Flickr photos.

The flickrUserId is a Juicebox-Pro configurtation option only which is not supported by Juicebox-Lite.
Configuration options supported by Juicebox-Lite can be found here.

Thanks.

Your support is very good.

I am sure that's worth it, but as it's for a friend, I won't go for the Pro option, it wouldn't feel right to pay to fix it. I am sure I'll find another gallery or another way to do it.

x

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that your Flickr User Name has a space in it.

It can't be the space, because this Flickr User with a space in his name works fine:
flickrUserName="Bahman Farzad"
flickrTags="flower"

Entering 'Stephen Wood' into Flickr's flickr.people.findByUsername page brings up a different Flickr User Id than the one you quoted above.
Please check with Flickr that the User Name you should be using is actually 'Stephen Wood'. It looks like this might be taken by a different person with the same name.

THANK YOU so, so much!

He has changed his user name to something completely different, by going to 'Settings' and editing his Screen Name,

and now Juicebox can find the pictures!

We just have to work on finding the tags now, which can't be found right now - I'm guessing they either have to re-propagate with his new user name, or else he has to re-tag them and wait again for them to propagate.

Life is so complex *sigh*

But THANKS! :)

I am really sorry, you must be fed up of this thread. We still cannot get the tags coming up, despite the photos showing up fine now ...

The API explorer still does not find the original tags, and also does not find a photo that was retagged again with 'other work' following the user name change. It is more than 48hrs again since it was re-tagged. An ordinary Flickr search will find all the tags, eg. http://www.flickr.com/photos/83516242@N … otherwork/ (the re-tagged image took a while to show up in that search but does show up too now).

We don't want to change the tag names.

I tried looking for help on Flickr but it said that Flickr's API developers don't monitor the Help Forum. I sent a help email but they said they can't help as I'm using a 3rd party application.

Would I be right in thinking that if the tags don't show up in the API explorer then even the Pro version of Juicebox would not be able to find the photos using the tags?

Have you any idea why they are not working?

This is not a Juicebox issue so Flickr should be hopefully be able to help.

Entering your Flickr User Id (83516242@N03) and your 'other work' tag into Flickr's API Explorer (bypassing Juicebox entirely) returns no images.
This is essentially the same method that Juicebox uses to fetch the images from Flickr's servers and if Flickr returns zero images, then Juicebox will not have any images to display in the gallery.

What you need to ask Flickr is why no images are being returned from an API search using:
user_id: 83516242@N03
tags: other work

It may just be that the tags have not yet fully propagated throughout Flickr's system.
According to this Flickr FAQ:

it shouldn't take more than a few days until your photos appear in searches, groups, etc.

12 (edited by talyadavies 2013-09-07 06:30:49)

Thanks. It is not a Juicebox issue but it is an API issue and Flickr won't help with anything that involves the API. They say I have to ask my question on the API mailing list.

The tags work on Flickr, they just don't show up in the API. It's just the tags that don't show up, so it's not that the images are hidden from API searches.

I guess it is some Flickr technicality about the way they propagate tags to the API but I have no way of resolving it because I'm not an API developer.

Thanks.

If your tagged images do not show up in API searches within a couple of days, I would try removing and then re-adding the tags to your images.

I tried again with Flickr and they said:

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble searching your tagged photos, and we apologize.

Talya, we have verified the issue and escalated it to our product team to identify the cause. Our goal is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

I know this is frustrating, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

so I will repost here if it gets resolved, just so you know what happens.

15 (edited by talyadavies 2013-09-16 19:44:57)

Well, Flickr have so far sent two emails to say it's a "known issue" and they are dealing with it as fast as they can.... which it seems is not very fast!

So I have hand-made the galleries by just downloading the pictures from Flickr and naming each picture with its description - Juicebox does the rest!

I think Juicebox is such a fantastic application and it works really well.

Thanks for all your advice, which is also reliable and helpful.

Thank you for posting back with the follow-up.
I'm glad you have found a workaround whilst Flickr are dealing with the probelm.