1 (edited by michaels 2012-05-18 13:16:40)

Topic: flickr: original sized images not showing correctly (ORIGINAL setting)

Hi

I've set up a basic gallery using only the usual flickr settings (i.e. leaving defaults, including imageScaleMode = SCALE_DOWN) but I used in particular the flickr setting:

flickrImageSize="ORIGINAL"

Most of my images were displayed as expected (resized down since most of my images are 1024 pixels at longest size or bigger), but I've noticed some of my original-sized 1024 px wide (or tall) images actually appeared at the 500-pixel medium size in Juicebox, which was rather a surprise - I expected these to be scaled down from the original size. I noticed the affected images on flickr happened to be stored with no large size even though the original size is 683x1024. So to recap, some flickr images only appear stored as 'original' (1024px), no large size, and then 'medium' (2 sizes) and smaller etc.

I wonder if there is some issue to be resolved here with Juicebox?

I see from the help for flickrImageSize, says:

LARGE - 1024 on longest side (only exists for original images larger than 1280). If the large version does not exist, Juicebox will fetch the medium version.

ORIGINAL - Original uploaded image dimensions. To access the original image size the image's privacy must be set to public and its license set to Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons.

I wonder for ORIGINAL if there is some problem with the original size (can't imagine what) & no large size exists, does ORIGINAL also use medium?

Here's a test URL: <removed, as issue is solved now> with 4 images. The first 2 images are fine, the latter 2 images are smaller as indicated (even though the original size is 1024 pixels along longest side). 'Open image' is enabled, so you can go to the original flickr page & locate the image size details from there to confirm the situation.

It would be great if this can be solved.

If more info is needed, let me know.

Regards

Michael.

Re: flickr: original sized images not showing correctly (ORIGINAL setting)

I wonder if there is some issue to be resolved here with Juicebox?

Juicebox uses a Flickr API search to fetch the images from Flicker's servers. Once Juicebox requests a certain size of image, it can display only the images that are returned.
Do you have a Flickr Pro account? According to this Flickr: Help: Photos page:

If you have a free account, no one (including you) can access your original file.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have a pro account.

The first 2 images are fine, the latter 2 images are smaller as indicated (even though the original size is 1024 pixels along longest side).

Selecting images #3 and #4 from your test gallery, clicking 'Open Image in New Window', clicking on the image in the Flickr page and selecting 'View all sizes' reveals that there is no 'Large' size associated with these images in Flickr. The largest size available for images #3 and #4 is 'Medium 640 (427 x 640)'.

Thanks for checking. As the account owner, I see there is an original size of 1024, so not sure why this is not showing a large at the same size. I guess it's some setting - I'll check it.

I see the issue - there is a flickr account setting: "Who can access your original image files?". I had this set to 'Your contacts'. Setting this to 'Anyone' is the solution. Sorry I didn't realise about this. Probably this is a good tip to include in your doc.

The current info of "ORIGINAL - Original uploaded image dimensions. To access the original image size the image's privacy must be set to public and its license set to Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons." is not quite enough.

Perhaps something like:

ORIGINAL - Original uploaded image dimensions. To access the original image size the image's privacy must be set to public, and its license set to "None" or "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons", and the flickr account setting "Who can access your original image files" is also set to "Anyone".

I'm not sure about "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons" but I assume it's correct. I added "None" since it's a valid option.

Thanks again for your help.

Thank you. I will suggest these changes for the next site update.

After more consideration, probably this setting "Who can access your original image files" set to "Anyone" should be optional.

I just realised something about flickr. It seems around the end-May 2010, flickr changed their image creation system to include the 'Large' size for originals of 1024 px or bigger (previously I guess uploads of 1280 px or bigger triggered the generation of 'Large', as indicated above in my original post). So some older images may not have a 'Large' size (1024 px) so the next size down is Medium when 'original' of 1024 or larger is unavailable due to this option being other than 'anyone'.

So if all your uploads have a 'Large' version and you are happy with 'Large' being the max available size (in place of the original not being available due to the above flickr setting not being set to 'anyone') then you don't need to set that option.

The downside to enabling 'anyone', is you then allow anyone to come to flickr to download the original image. It seems most newer images always have Large (1024px) versions available, so this may suffice and you can safety not set that option.

It would be great if flickr somehow allows originals to be available via this gallery, but disabled downloading. I guess it's not possible with the current method.