Topic: Thumbnails of different proportions?

Good evening,

I'm evaluating the lite version to determine whether to purchase the pro version. Right now in the lite version the thumbnails are cropped to a square proportion, but the images themselves are not square, so the thumbnails look weird.

I understand that with the pro version I can manually set the width and height of the thumbnails, presumably to use an aspect ratio the same as the full size images.

1. Is there a setting to do that automatically rather than having to manually set the width and height of the thumbnails?

2. What do I do if the images in a particular gallery all have different aspect ratios? How do I make the thumbnails work in a manner that makes all of them look appropriate and not crop out image content?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Thumbnails of different proportions?

Hi! Thank you for your interest in Juicebox!
I hope my notes below help to answer your queries (even if they may not be the answers you were hoping for).

1. Is there a setting to do that automatically rather than having to manually set the width and height of the thumbnails?

No. You must set the thumbWidth and thumbHeight manually (on the 'Images' tab of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro).

2. What do I do if the images in a particular gallery all have different aspect ratios? How do I make the thumbnails work in a manner that makes all of them look appropriate and not crop out image content?

With Juicebox-Pro, you can set the thumbnail dimensions (which is not possible with Juicebox-Lite) but all thumbnails will share the same dimensions. This cannot be changed. If images do not share a similar aspect ratio to the thumbnail dimensions, then the images will be resized and center-cropped to fill the thumbnail dimensions.

You could create your own set of thumbnails in an imaging program such as Adobe Photoshop and then swap them for the thumbnails created by JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (if you have a particular set of images which would not suit a center-crop) but this would be a lot of extra work (and all thumbnails in the gallery would still share the same dimensions).

If your gallery uses thumbnails primarily as a navigational aid (and center-cropping would be an issue), then you could choose to not actually show the thumbnails and instead just use thumb dots as shown in this demo gallery.

Thank you for the fast reply. Not exactly the answers I was hoping for, but at least I know the constraints I'm working with.

You're welcome!
I'm sorry it's not the answer you were hoping for but, as you say, at least you now know what Juicebox can and cannot do.