Topic: [Firefox] Juicebox Error: Config file not found [SOLVED]

Hi there,

While browsing this forum I've come across several people who had the same problem with Safari 11 on a Mac.
Now I have the same problem on a Windows 10 PC with Firefox Quantum 68.

When finishing a new gallery and pressing the "Publish button, Firefox dutifully starts like always, but the preview is no longer displayed. The link to the gallery on the HD is correct, and as soon as I upload it to my website it works.

Locally though I cannot do a preview. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
Best wishes
Andreas

Re: [Firefox] Juicebox Error: Config file not found [SOLVED]

Unfortunately, very recently, Firefox 68.0 (released on 9 July 2019) introduced a new security restriction (very similar to the Safari 11 issue) which blocks the loading of Juicebox galleries locally (from your computer's hard drive). (As you have discovered, there is no problem once the gallery has been uploaded to a web server.)

Here is the relevant entry from the Firefox 68.0 Release Notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/6 … easenotes/

Local files can no longer access other files in the same directory.

It's an unfortunate turn of events but, thankfully, not an insurmountable problem as there is a workaround.

Here are the steps required to relax this security restriction:
(1) Enter about:config in your Firefox browser's address bar.
(2) Click past the warning via the "I accept the risk!" button.
(3) Enter privacy.file_unique_origin in the search bar.
(4) Double-click the Preference Name to change the Value from 'true' to 'false'.

***Please do so at your own risk*** (although this should be no more of a risk than running the previous version of Firefox (67.0.4)).

This should allow you to, once again, view your galleries locally in Firefox.
I hope this helps.

Great thanks.
Worked like a charm!

Best wishes and have a good weekend

You're welcome!
I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back to let me know.

I hope you have a good weekend, too!

One month after the last post another user (me) had the same problem with Firefox.  Seems that any "old" user of Firefox will have it.  Once I found the solution it took five minutes to fix it on the two computers I was using.  So another "thanks" to add to your collection.  I wonder if it would be possible to make the error message more helpful in future versions?  Or somehow communicate the problem and possible solution to registered, paid users.

@fkelly12054

I'm glad you found this thread and that you were able to implement the workaround on your two computers.
The developers are certainly aware of the issue and I expect that they will incorporate a more meaningful message into a future version of Juicebox-Pro and update the local viewing FAQ on the website in due course.
In the meantime, I'll keep pointing anyone who posts in the forum experiencing this issue to this topic.