Topic: Juicebox-pro quits at start [SOLVED]

I just installed v.1.5.1 on a new Win10 computer (v1.5.0 worked on my previous laptop).
clicking to start I see the splash screen and then it quits.

Any ideas?

Re: Juicebox-pro quits at start [SOLVED]

That's certainly very strange.
Here are a couple of things to try which might help to pinpoint the cause of your problem.

(1) Try completely disabling any third-party security software that you might have installed (e.g. Avast or AVG), including real-time protection and ransomware detection, before attempting to open JuiceboxBuilder-Pro to see if this might somehow be interfering with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's functionality.
(Please do so at your own risk and be sure to disconnect from the internet first.)

(2) Check the exact time that the splash page disappears (JuiceboxBuilder-Pro crashes) and then take a look at the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any entries in the 'Windows Logs -> Applications' or 'Windows Logs -> System' sections which coincide with the crash and give more information on the nature of your problem.
Please see this web page for more information on the Event Viewer: https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-ex … an-use-it/

(3) Also, I'd try completely uninstalling and then reinstalling both JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and Adobe AIR following the procedure outlined in this forum post to see if this helps.

Hopefully these suggestions will help (or at least point you in the right direction.)

This is what I see in the event viewer

Faulting application name: JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cb7acf2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.615, time stamp: 0x832170f2
Exception code: 0x40010006
Fault offset: 0x0011fd62
Faulting process id: 0x4b80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53a5c617a2a8c
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Liam\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 246d0fe1-0c9a-4ab6-8dd1-4ac8ed4cb6b7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thank you for posting your event log.

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Liam\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe

I think line above might hold the key to the problem.
The JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe file should normally be in this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe

All that is in my C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\ folder is a 'presets' folder (as expected).
I do not know why your installation seems to have deposited the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe file in your Documents folder but I reckon that's the reason why your JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is crashing.
If you have not already tried suggestion #3 from my post above (a complete reinstallation of JuiceboxBuilder-Pro), then please try it to see if it helps.
Another thing to try would be to create a new Administrator User Account on your PC, log into this new account and then install Adobe AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro from there (in case a corrupt user profile is somehow contributing to your problem).
It might be a long shot but it should be fairly quick and easy to try and, in the absence of knowing exactly what is at the root of your problem, I would not rule anything out quite yet.

Reinstalled. Now at C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe did not solve the problem.
Created a new admin account, clean. Same problem.

Thanks for trying. I'm sorry that you're still having trouble.
Unfortunately, I'm running out of ideas.

Do you have any third-party security software installed and have you tried temporarily turning it off yet?

Try installing JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (from the free Juicebox-Lite zip package (you can download it from here). Does the same thing happen with JuiceboxBuilder-Lite?

The only other thing I can think of at the moment (and I don't really think it will help but you never know) is to reinstall Adobe AIR but instead of just double-clicking the AdobeAIRInstaller.exe installation file, right-click it and select 'Run as administrator'.

If all else fails, it might be worthwhile running Windows System File Checker (as the event log points towards kernelbase.dll, a system file), just to make sure that there are no corrupt system files.
Run an elevated command prompt (a command prompt with administrative rights) and enter sfc /scannow.
Please see this web page for further details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … ted-system

Also, if you have an Adobe AIR log file in the following location, please take a look and see if there are any entries corresponding to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro crashes. (It might hold only information on installations but it's worth a look.)

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Adobe\AIR\logs\Install.log

Edit:
I've just found this Adobe help page which seems to describe a similar problem to the one you reported. The help page refers to Photoshop instead of an AIR application but it sounds similar and hopefully it will help.

Photoshop CC crashes on launch and displays kernelbase.dll error as the faulting module in the Event Viewer.

Crash on launch | Kernelbase.dll error | Windows - https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ke … error.html

If the details in the web page apply to you (with regard to the graphics), then try the procedure but selecting Adobe AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro instead of Photoshop.

Tried all of the above...  None helps.

Tried other adobe air applications, they work perfectly.

How can I get the 1.5.0 version to try if 1.5.1. has an issue?

Unfortunately, previous versions are not available for download. (All download links always point to the latest version.)
However, I don't think reinstalling v1.5.0 would help.
As far as I am aware, there were no code changes between v1.5.0 and v1.5.1 which should have any bearing on the startup procedure.

Tried other adobe air applications, they work perfectly.

Have you tried JuiceboxBuilder-Lite yet? Does it crash on opening (like JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does) or does it run correctly (like the other AIR applications you have tried)?

As far as I can recall, no-one else has ever reported the problem that you are experiencing (with any version) so it seems to somehow be unique to your system.
I really don't know what is causing your problem and I've already suggested pretty much everything I can think of.

Maybe if we could find out how the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe file ended up in your C:\Users\Liam\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\ folder, we might have a clue as to the nature of your problem.

Out of interest, what are the current contents of your C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\ folder?
This folder should contain the following:

icons (folder)
META_INF (folder)
presets (folder)
template (folder)
jbBuilder-Pro.swf (file)
JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe (file)
mimetype (file)

Here are two more suggestions:

(1) Try running JuiceboxBuilder-Pro not from the desktop shortcut but, instead, by navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\ in Windows File Explorer and then right-clicking the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe file and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

(2) As you are currently running Windows 10 version 1809 (build 17763.615), try upgrading to the current version (version 1903, build 18362.239). The kernelbase.dll file will be updated when you upgrade Windows 10 to version 1903 and this might help to resolve your problem.

Being that you are currently experiencing difficulties, I should perhaps point out that there are other methods of creating Juicebox galleries which do not require JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, many of which use plugins for other programs (such as Lightroom or Photoshop). If you use Lightroom or Photoshop, you might like to give them a try. Please see the Juicebox Plugins support page for details.

You can also create a gallery manually using the sample 'web' gallery (from the Juicebox-Pro download zip package) as a template. Instructions can be found here.

I'd certainly check the contents of the C:\Program Files (x86)\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\ folder, run JuiceboxBuilder-Pro via the right-click 'Run as administrator' option and upgrade Windows 10 (to version 1903) as the next things to try.

Tried lite version - same problem.
Current content of the x86 folder is identical to the one you listed
Ran as administrator - same problem
Updated windows - same problem
Tried compatibility tests - same issue.

Frustrating as I have been using juicebox happily for years...

A web search for 'kernelbase.dll crash' returns many results (none for JuiceboxBuilder-Pro) but there does not seem to be an accepted solution for all scenarios and I think you've tried pretty much every suggestion I've come across and thought of.

One thing we've not tried yet, though...
Try booting into Safe Mode and running JuiceboxBuilder-Pro from there.
If it works OK in Safe Mode, then some other program or driver that is loaded and running in normal mode could be causing the crash.

Here's how to start your PC in Safe Mode in Windows 10:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … -safe-mode

Thanks for your continued support.
Now I am even more confused as the symptom is identical in safe mode....
This means the problem is within juicebox itself.
As my last working version was 1.5.0 is there any way to get a hold of it?

Thanks for trying Safe Mode.
There seems to be some sort of incompatibility between JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and your computer as no-one else has ever reported the issue that you are facing before.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to replicate the problem myself which makes troubleshooting that much more difficult.
Please check your email. I have sent you a message.

Problem resolved via email.

Solution was:
(1) Uninstall both JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and Adobe AIR
(2) Install an older version of Adobe AIR (v20.0)
(3) Install JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.1
(4) Upgrade Adobe AIR to current version (v32.0)

If anyone reading this thread encounters a similar issue and wants to try this solution, older versions of Adobe AIR can be downloaded from this archive page: https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived … rsion.html