Topic: bigger galleries

Hi there,

I am using Juicebox Pro (currently 1.2) for rebuilding by photo website and was very pleased with the product.
But now I am facing problems that might be related with the size of the galley.
The last time I saved the gallery it had 947 images.

Now I want to add some more (my former website had ~1.850 images, and I am re-working all the pictures from my archive) and Juicebox Builder Pro 1.2 has problems opening the gallery file.

I can see the upper entries, but no tumbnails - and then the title bar of JuiceboxBuilder Pro says "No response".

Is there any workaround? Or can't the gallery handle bigger galleries?

Regards from Germany,

Marco

Re: bigger galleries

This is my workaround so far:
- copied the config.xml
- edited the original file in a html editor (phase5 here), erased all but my "start image" and the very latest addition
- used JuiceboxBuilder Pro to add the new pictures and saved that
- opened the new galley xml file with the html editor, selected and copied the entries for the new pictures
- opened the copy of the old xml file and pasted the entries for the new pictures
- deleted the config.xml
- renamed the copy to config.xml
- uploaded all that

Works, but it would be nice if JuiceboxBuilder Pro would work with bigger galeries.

You may be running into memory issues with so many images in your JuiceboxBuilder-Pro gallery.
However, I have just successfully created a test Juicebox-Pro gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro using over 1,600 images on a PC with 2GB of RAM. All images were added at once and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro has no problem opening the gallery (though it takes a little while to open) after having been saved. For reference, the images in my test gallery were resized using the default values of 1024 x 768 at 80% quality and have an average file size of 120KB each.
Make sure that the imagePreloading configuration option is not set to 'ALL' as the browser will try to preload all the images in the gallery as soon as the gallery is loaded.

Also, you might also like to consider splitting your gallery into multiple smaller galleries and linking them together using the Embedding Multiple Galleries guide here.

Thanks for your response!
I guess RAM can't be the problem, because it's 16GB here...
My images are sized max. 950x650, but at 99% quality.

Now I'll give it a try adding that imagePreloading line to the XML file and see what happens.

Nothing changes ...

Using your settings (950x650 at 99% quality), the resulting images have approximately 4 x the file size of those generated using the default values (1024 x 768 at 80% quality).
It may still be a memory issue. Your computer may have 16GB RAM but it may not all be allocated or usable by JuiceboxBuilder-Pro. According to a post in this forum thread:

As of Windows 7, and AIR 3.3 Adobe AIR apps are limited to around 1GB memory allocation.

Try reducing the quality a little to see if this makes a difference. Reducing the quality from 99% to 90% could potentially reduce the file size of your images by half (or even more) with little visible difference, retaining enough quality for use in a web gallery.

Thanks for the new response.
Maybe I'll try that, but to be honest the images lack too much quality despite the setting of 99% - especially in the sky or similar areas.
I guess I'll keep using the Workaround I posted above.