Topic: Resize error

Trying to start with JuiceboxBuilder Lite, five files all jpgs 3000x2000 or less. "Error resizing image the image was too large or invalid"

So far I haven't been able to load a single image.  Running under Win 7.

Thanks for any tips.  So far image gallery programs are really frustrating.

Re: Resize error

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resizing your images.
Images of less than 4095 x 4095 should be able to be resized OK.

What resize dimensions have you chosen (Max Width and Max Height)?
If you are not already using the default values (Max Width 1024 and Max Height 768), then please try the default values, at least for troubleshooting purposes, to see if this helps.

Otherwise, the images might somehow be corrupt. Even corrupt metadata (which might not be noticeable when opening the images in other imaging programs) could be enough to cause a problem.
Try opening one of your images in an imaging program (such as Photoshop) and resaving it (without editing it) to see if this makes a difference.

I hope this helps.
However, if you continue to experience difficulties, then perhaps you could upload one of your source images somewhere (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive) and post a link to it here in the forum so that I can download the image and try to replicate the problem myself.
With access to one of the images that is giving you trouble, I might be able to figure out the cause of the problem.
Thank you.

If all else fails, you could resize your image in a different imaging program (such as Photoshop) prior to using them in JuiceboxBuilder-Lite.
Then, when feeding them to JuiceboxBuilder-Lite, be sure to deselect the 'Resize Images' checkbox (on the 'Images' panel) and JuiceboxBuilder-Lite will just copy the files across to the output gallery folder without processing them.

The picture files are 3000x2000. I have the image size set to 1024x768.
AVG (anti virus) promptly blocks juicebox for trying to change my files.  I think that even though I then told AVG to allow Juicebox, I had to close juicebox, reopen it and reallow at the start. The error message was unfortunately not about being blocked.  So far I've done a few files, one of which I resized and one of which I let juicebox resize. 
I don't yet know if that will stick or if I'll have to allow with AVG every time.  But I think that was the problem.

Thank you for the update.
I'm glad to hear that you've found the cause of the problem (but sorry that you've encountered a problem at all).

I'd be very grateful if you could let me know further details about the problem so that I can file a false positive report with AVG (so that they can clear JuiceboxBulder-Lite's reputation in a future database update).

Please let me know the AVG module that is triggering the error (e.g. real-time detection, ransomware, etc.).
Also please let me know the AVG version number and virus database version number that you currently use.

AVG may also ask for the following:

• A screenshot of the AVG detection dialog.

• A screenshot of the AVG virus database (open AVG Antivirus and go to Menu > About).

You could post the screenshots here in the forum, upload them somewhere (e.g. Dropbox or Google Drive) and provide links or email them to me (you'll find my email address in the column to the left of this post).

Thanks for your help.

AVG thought that Juicebox was going to alter files in what it thought was a protected folder (not special that I know of).  The first time I got the error I was a bit concerned that Juicebox would replace my original image files.  I don't think it will error again, as Juicebox is now on the list of allowed apps.  Possible this seemed like malicious behavior?  But if it comes back after a reboot, I'll update.

AVG Antivirus Free, version 22.11.3261 (build 22.11.7716.759)
virus definition version 221219-0

The list of allowed apps is small, so most programs don't trip whatever this was.

Thank you for the update.
I've now filed a false positive report with AVG. Hopefully they can resolve the problem in a future database update. Juicebox users should not have to whitelist JuiceboxBuilder in order for it to work correctly.

The first time I got the error I was a bit concerned that Juicebox would replace my original image files.

You don't need to worry about that. JuiceboxBuilder will either copy your original images to the gallery's output folder (if the 'Resize Images' checkbox is deselected) or place resized copies of the original images in the gallery's output folder. Your original images will always remain untouched in their original locations.

Hi.
I've had a reply from AVG. Here are the relevant quotes from it:

I understand that AVG has detected reported apps as a threat, but I can't reproduce the detection right now.

... the user should adjust AVG settings. He should remove the protected folder from Ransomware Shield or allow the app - https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleV … tType=home. Unfortunately, this is not a false positive, but incorrect settings.

It's a shame that you need to change AVG's settings for JuiceboxBuilder to work correctly but at least we have a workaround.

tmwellington wrote:

Trying to start with JuiceboxBuilder Lite, five files all jpgs 3000x2000 or less. "Error resizing image the image was too large or invalid"

So far I haven't been able to load a single image.  Running under Win 7.

Thanks for any tips.  So far image gallery programs are really frustrating.

Please check your JuiceboxBuilder Lite version is compatible with your Windows 7 system, update to the latest version if available.
Be confirm from yourself the JPG files are in the correct format and not corrupted. Try opening the images in another viewer or editor to confirm their integrity.
Ensure the JPG images you're attempting to load are within the supported size limit of JuiceboxBuilder Lite doc . Resize larger images to meet the specified requirements. Otherwise you should try manually to compress your image from online application such as jpeg compressor and you have to see how other works and what are doing, is working like that.

[Admin Edit #1: Removed link to old version of Juicebox-Lite from third-party software site. The most recent version of Juicebox-Lite can and should be downloaded from our own website's download page here.]

[Admin Edit #2: All versions of JuiceboxBuilder-Lite are compatible with Windows 7.]

[Admin Edit #3: The supported size limit is not documented in the link given above. The largest file size which JuiceboxBuilder-Lite can handle is 16,777,215 pixels. This approximately equates to a square image of 4095 x 4095.]