Topic: Juicebox Pro 1.5.1. won't let be open or create new galleries.

Juicebox Pro 1.5.1. won't let be open or create new galleries on MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.3. I bought the product two weeks ago and I managed to create a few galleries with it but today when I went to use Juicebox it wouldn't function.  I had downloaded Adobe Air  for it . Any advice ?

Re: Juicebox Pro 1.5.1. won't let be open or create new galleries.

The first thing I'd try is to close JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and manually delete the following folders:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro
~/Library/Preferences/JuiceboxBuilder-Pro

I do not know what might have caused your problem but deleting the folders above has certainly resolved a similar problem for other users. Hopefully this will solve your problem without any further action.

In order to prevent the problem from reoccurring, make sure that you do not try to save your gallery to (or open a gallery from) a folder which is being synced to an online file sharing service like Google Drive. (This has been known to cause symptoms similar to those you described.) The solution to this (on a Windows PC) is to manually delete the following folder:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\JuiceboxBuilder-Pro\.tempGallery

If you use Google Drive and think that this might have caused your problem, then on your Macbook Pro, try searching your hard drive for ".tempGallery" (inside a folder named 'JuiceboxBuilder-Pro') and delete the folder if found.

One other user reported (a few months ago) that Avast's Ransomware Shield prevented JuiceboxBuilder-Pro from running correctly so, if you use Ransomware Shield, then try making an exception for the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro executable file ('JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.exe') in Ransomware Shield's settings (or try temporarily disabling Ransomware Shield to see if this helps).
Incidentally, this report was 3 moths ago and, at the time, I filed a false positive report with Avast.
An Avast representative replied and ensured me that JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's reputation would be cleared in their next database update so, as long as your Avast databases are up to date, then this should no longer be a problem (but I thought I'd mention it just in case it helps).

If all else fails, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling both JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and Adobe AIR following the full procedure in this forum post.

Hopefully my notes above will help.

3 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-08 22:55:07)

Thanks for getting back to me so quick ...Ok I will try this and get back to you thanks....

Later..
Yes I tried that, deleted those files there but I had no luck I will have to try a reinstall then .

4 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-09 00:40:27)

Ok I tried deinstalling and reinstalling as advised and following instructions given. But No luck. It is behaving exactly the same as it did before I de-installed.
I'm hoping there is some solution as I have just been involved in designing a website around JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.
Do you have any other ideas please, keeping in mind that I'm on a mac Im not using google Drive and I am committed to this photo app?

Did you try searching for a folder named ".tempGallery" (and then deleting it if found)?
The pre-existence of such a folder when JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is opened (whether caused by Google Drive or by a glitch which somehow failed to remove the folder when JuiceboxBuilder-Pro was previously closed) might be enough to cause the problem.

Also, after uninstalling JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and before reinstalling the application, did you search your hard drive for the term "JuiceboxBuilder" and delete all instances found?

If a completely clean install (with no files left over from a previous installation) does not work, then it sounds like something else on your system might be interfering with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's functionality.

Try temporarily disabling any security software that you have installed to see if this makes a difference.
Also, try stopping any other programs that you have running in the background (apart from system processes) to see if this helps.

It might also be worth creating a new administrative user account on your MacBook Pro and installing JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under the new user account to see if the application works from there.

I should perhaps point out that there are other method of creating a Juicebox-Pro gallery.
There are several plugins available for different software packages (such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop) and you can also create a gallery manually by modifying the sample 'web' gallery from the Juicebox-Pro download zip package.
I realize that it is not as convenient as using JuiceboxBuilder-Pro but it might help if you need to create a gallery urgently until you get JuiceboxBuilder-Pro back and up running.

One thing though When I tried moving all the old Juicebox files out of the folder of images it did look for a config.xml file but nothing happened when I supplied it by inserting it back in.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Did you save a gallery to a folder full of images? This should not cause any problems but I'd recommend saving each gallery to a new empty folder of its own (just to help keep things organized and separate gallery files from other files). If you keep galleries in their own folders, then you can upload the entire folders (not just the contents of the folders) to your web server (to help keep things organized on your server, too) and then embed the galleries into your web pages using the baseUrl method of embedding documented here.

In any case, I'd search your hard drive again to double-check that there's not still a persistent ".tempGallery" folder somewhere. Such a folder could potentially be the cause of your problem.

7 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-13 13:09:50)

@Steven @ Juicebox
I am not having any luck with those directions at all . I did deinstall and reinstall again. The folder named JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.tempGallery is not on my system any longer . Still no joy.
I also tried to install JuiceboxBuilder Pro as a plug in photoshop . But it only allows the lite version. This is after I replace the jbcore folder and rename the .js file as instructed.
Separately, in relation to the app itself and as regards that config.xml file, Juicebox never lets me see the files on my mac system through the browser.  I always had to put them up online first to see them. But Juicebox Pro always says that file is missing when I try and use the interface. This is definitely not working ... any advice?

Still no joy.

Unfortunately, I really do not know what might be causing your problem.
If a clean install of both Adobe AIR and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not work, then it sounds like there might be something on your system (such as some security software) that is interfering with the functionality of the application.
Did you try creating a new administrative user account and installing JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under the new user account?

I also tried to install JuiceboxBuilder Pro as a plug in photoshop . But it only allows the lite version. This is after I replace the jbcore folder and rename the .js file as instructed.

If you have successfully replaced the Lite 'jbcore' folder with the Pro version, then the plugin has no choice but to create Juicebox-Pro galleries. (The plugin will no longer contain the Juicebox-Lite files.)
You can check to see if your galleries are Lite or Pro by the presence of the Juicebox logo in the lower right corner of the galleries. The Juicebox logo is present in all Lite galleries but not in Pro galleries.
Please note that upgrading the plugin does not change the plugin's interface. The interface will look the same as before upgrading (only Lite options can be changed in the interface) but all galleries subsequently created by the plugin will be Pro galleries (with no branding or image limit). Galleries created with the plugin can be customized with Pro configuration options by opening them in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (but I realise that you cannot currently do this).
Programs and plugins which feature all Pro configurations in their interfaces are JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, the Juicebox Lightroom Plugin and Showkase.

... Juicebox never lets me see the files on my mac system through the browser.  I always had to put them up online first to see them.

Juicebox galleries cannot be viewed locally in all browser due to certain security restrictions.
Please see this FAQ for details:
When I view my gallery locally, I see the message "Juicebox can not display locally in this browser". Why?

This issue is specific to viewing galleries locally (from your computer's hard drive) and there is no such issue once the galleries have been uploaded to a web server (where they can be viewed in any modern browser).

But Juicebox Pro always says that file is missing when I try and use the interface. This is definitely not working ... any advice?

If you encounter the "Config file not found." message whilst trying to view a gallery locally in Safari 11, then please see this forum post for a full explanation and a workaround.

Unfortunately, Safari 11 (released 19 September 2017) introduced a new security restriction which prevents local viewing of Juicebox galleries by default. Selecting 'Disable Local File Restrictions' from Safari 11's 'Develop' menu (full instructions in the link above) should, once again, allow you to view your galleries locally in Safari 11.

9 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-14 16:28:53)

@ Steven @ Juicebox .   In reviewing all advice  to see if this problem can be resolved in some way I have not been able to find the   JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.tempGallery  anywhere on my computer. However I do notice that in my Documents folder on my MacBook I notice that there is a JuiceboxBuilder-Pro folder there which has a folder within it of my presets.   Should I delete that too?

Or is the .tempGallery file a different file that is on the system somewhere that I need to delete  ....  I have not been able to find that in the Library or anywhere on the system .

I am wondering if the problem may be that when I reinstall JuiceboxBuilder-Pro it is not recognising me as being a legitimate user, perhaps not recognising the purchase code I put in for some reason? Could that be the problem?

I am beginning to feel that as I downloaded the software again and as it did not ask me for a purchase code , it be that  either its not be recognising me as a Pro user.... or,  I had not wiped off enough files to get rind of the imprint of the last installation. Again any ideas here in this regard?

I can see that if the JuiceboxBuilder app was working I would now be able to use the photoshop plugin version to use the pro version.  There is no logo appearing on the lower righthand corner so it is geared for pro.  I did manage to get safari previewing the lite version of the gallery.

Im also wondering now would showkase be a solution if I can't get it working on my computer with your advice?

However I do notice that in my Documents folder on my MacBook I notice that there is a JuiceboxBuilder-Pro folder there which has a folder within it of my presets.   Should I delete that too?

If the folder contains only presets, then it is doubtful that removing the folder will help.
However, in the absence of knowing exactly what is causing your problem, I would not rule anything out quote yet.
Try temporarily removing the folder (either rename it and then rename it back to its original name afterwards or move it to a different location and move it back to its original location afterwards) whilst JuiceboxBuilder-Pro is closed to see if this helps.

I am wondering if the problem may be that when I reinstall JuiceboxBuilder-Pro it is not recognising me as being a legitimate user, perhaps not recognising the purchase code I put in for some reason? Could that be the problem?

No, this is not the problem. JuiceboxBuilder-Pro does not need a special code or use a serial number (although downloads are restricted to licensed users only and installing the application without a valid license would violate the terms of use).
As long as you have the JuiceboxBuilder-Pro.air installation file, you should be able to install and run JuiceboxBuilder-Pro successfully.

There is no logo appearing on the lower righthand corner so it is geared for pro.  I did manage to get safari previewing the lite version of the gallery.

I'm glad that you have at least been able to upgrade the Photoshop plugin to Juicebox-Pro and get local viewing working in Safari 11. Thank you for letting me know.

Im also wondering now would showkase be a solution if I can't get it working on my computer with your advice?

Showkase is a PHP web application (installed on your web server rather than your computer) which is designed to create a complete portfolio website (integrating multiple galleries) in a web browser interface, although you could use Showkase in its Gallery Manager theme to just create and edit Juicebox-Pro galleries online (which you could embed into other non-Showakse pages throughout your website).
Showkase has full support for Juicebox-Pro and the galleries can be created within the application itself (or created with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and imported).

You can create Gallery Index pages and have as many galleries listed on each Gallery Index page as you wish.
Each gallery is represented by a thumbnail image with the gallery title displayed below and the gallery is opened when the user clicks on the image.
Demo sites created with Showkase can be found here and a sample Gallery Index page can be found here.

Showkase can also create non-gallery pages (About, Basic and Contact pages) where you can add information about yourself (or any other content you like).
All of this is done automatically within the Showkase interface without the need for any manual coding at all.
You can take a look around the Showkase interface by logging into the Live Demo Admin.

Showkase can be purchased as Showkase-Standard (which comes with Juicebox-Lite, the free version) or Showkase-Pro (which comes with Juicebox-Pro).
The only difference between Showkase-Standard and Showkase-Pro is the bundled viewer (Juicebox-Lite vs Juicebox-Pro).
If you want to purchase Showkase-Pro (less expensive that purchasing Showkase-Standard and Juicebox-Pro separately), then we would happily refund you in full for your Juicebox-Pro purchase.

There is more information on the differences between Juicebox and Showkase in this forum thread.
If you have any further queries, please let me know.

Getting back to JuiceboxBuilder-Pro, have you tried creating a new administrative user account and installing and running JuiceboxBuilder-Pro under the new user account yet?
I still think this is worth a shot. It should at least let us know whether there is something about your present user account which is causing your problem or otherwise perhaps a system wide contributing factor.

@ Steven @ Juicebox   Thanks for further advice the kind offer which may make a crucial difference to my prospects with Juicebox . First I have to ascertain if PHP is available to us at the moment. I don't code that only being familiar with HTML.  As you can imagine this is all taking a lot, lot more time than I envisaged. I'm creating an alternative administrative account at the moment. I'll be talking to the chap that does the javascript about the php

Most web hosts provide PHP on the web space that they provide but it would certainly be best to check with your web host first.
Showkase requires PHP 5.2.0 or later. The full system requirements for Showkase can be found here.

As long as your have PHP 5.2.0 or later installed on your web server, then you can proceed to install and run the Showkase Server Compatibility Test to check that your web server has all the features Showkase needs. If any of the tests fail, then there are troubleshooting tips on the Compatibility Test's support page which should hopefully help.

Incidentally, although Showkase is written in PHP and requires PHP to be installed on the web server, there is no need for you to have any knowledge of PHP at all.
You can create a complete web site (including Juicebox-Pro galleries) online via the Showkase interface without any manual coding at all.

13 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-20 15:02:48)

@ Steven @ Juicebox .....You know what you said about there being no need to have any knowledge about PHP? I have the PHP running on the web server alright and the software will run basic tests, but when I run the file tests part of the http://www.seanodwyer.com/sktest all I get is....   "500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."
Now I looked that up and it appears to mean I need to change file permissions, can that only be done by the provider? Or do I need some help to do that?  Hopefully this will get me to the end of this problem overall and I can get on with things with showkase.

14 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-20 22:06:58)

@ Steven @ Juicebox .....
Hi Steven. Continuing from todays earlier comment.    I eventually got this result (see below and attached message from providers) with the file tests once I got in touch (finally) with the hosting company. The Session and basic tests were ok, its the file tests that seem to be failing ....it does not seem to be recognising files them . 

http://www.seanodwyer.com/sktest

PHP Warning:  mkdir(): Permission denied in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 98
PHP Warning:  copy(master\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 103
PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(g1\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 108
PHP Warning:  fopen(g1\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 113
PHP Warning:  fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 118
PHP Warning:  fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in D:\hshome\seansct\seanodwyer.com\sktest\filetest.php on line 123

As per the URL http://www.seanodwyer.com/sktest/  basic test is ok for PHP version.
Further, I have checked the domain permission on the server and found all the required permissions are set.
Could you please reply back in greater detail as to what you need help with?

Thank you for posting the information.
That's something I've never actually seen before in the Showkase Server Compatibility Test.
It certainly flags a problem that would prevent Showkase from running on your web server.

As the PHP warning suggests, the problem is almost certain to be a permissions issue.
Please check the permissions of the 'filetest.php' file and the 'sktest' folder itself on your web server.
Default permissions of 644 for files and 755 for folders should normally be fine but please see the File Test Errors section of the Showkase Server Compatibility Test's 'Troubleshooting Error Messages' support section for more information on permission problems.
You should be able to check and change file and folder permissions using either a dedicated FTP program such as Filezilla or via your web hosting account's online file manager.

The line of code within the 'filetest.php' file that is triggering the error is the PHP mkdir() function which should create a new directory (in the same directory as the 'filetest.php' file). However, a permissions issue seems to be preventing Showkase from creating this new directory.

If you cannot solve the problem yourself, then your web host should be able to help you further.
Just ask your web host why a PHP script (point them  towards the 'filetest.php' file inside your 'sktest' directory so that they can check the current permissions) is unable to create a new directory using mkdir(). They should hopefully be able to quickly spot the problem and fix it for you.

Please let me know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.
If you'd like me to take a look at the Showkase Server Compatibility Test files on your web server myself, then please let me know and I'll send you an email address where you can forward me your FTP login details.
Thank you.

16 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-21 12:55:23)

@ Steven @ Juicebox
Thanks for all your help with getting the server ready for showkase. It is operating properly now once file tests were passed and permissions granted to the correct folders.  I wish to purchase it now and you mentioned I would not have to pay the price for the Juicebuilder Pro again.....

"If you want to purchase Showkase-Pro (less expensive that purchasing Showkase-Standard and Juicebox-Pro separately), then we would happily refund you in full for your Juicebox-Pro purchase."

..... I hope now that this solves all problems and I can move forward with the website to build the sort of design I want at www.seanodwyer.com . I haven't downloaded showkase yet as I felt I should inform you first before I did so. I am thinking (as per quote above) that you will refund me the Juicebox-Pro and I will go ahead and purchase Showkase -Pro instead.  Should I delete all Juicebox  Pro files before I download showkase?  Will it matter?

It is operating properly now once file tests were passed and permissions granted to the correct folders.

I'm very glad to hear that you have been able to resolve your server permissions problem and that all the Showkase Server Compatibility tests now pass OK. Thank you for letting me know.

I am thinking (as per quote above) that you will refund me the Juicebox-Pro and I will go ahead and purchase Showkase -Pro instead.

That would be fine. In order to keep accurate licensing and transaction records, it would be best for you to purchase Showakse-Pro from the purchase page here and for us to then refund you in full for Juicebox-Pro.

Should I delete all Juicebox  Pro files before I download showkase?

There is no need to do this. When you purchase Showkase-Pro, you receive a Juicebox-Pro Single-Site License and the Juicebox-Pro files are exactly the same whether you purchase Juicebox-Pro or Showkase-Pro.

Just let me know when you've purchased Showkase-Pro and I'll get the refund for Juicebox-Pro underway for you.
Thank you.

18 (edited by SeanO'Dwyer 2018-02-21 23:23:32)

@ Steven @ Juicebox
I've purchased ShowKase Pro

Thank you for letting me know.
I've now refunded you for your Juicebox-Pro purchase. Please allow a few days for the refund to appear in your account.

I hope you get on well with Showkase-Pro!
As well as comprehensive online support (be sure to check out the Installing Showkase and Getting Started support sections), Showkase has its own forum over here.