Re: SSM thumbnails in Multiple Galleries

I just got a reply from a friend about the functions of my test galleries. She had found, that if the Expand button is pressed, the functionality of dragging the mouse cursor out of the gallery to hide the Information, stops working.

I put the [Info] button into the toolbar on Gall 03c, but then of course this mouse function stops working completely, no matter what screen is on. So this is no good either.

Why does this "Hide Info" mouse function not work in Expanded mode?

I notice that your 3x gallery sets useFullScreenExpand="TRUE". When the gallery is expanded, it will occupy the entire screen (rather than just the browser window) so there is no area outside the gallery that the user can move the mouse into.

A workaround might be to set useFullscreenExpand="FALSE" so that the gallery expands only within the browser window. There will always be an area outside the gallery (the browser's address bar) where the user can move the mouse to have the overlay disappear.

Alternatively, inactivityTimeout still works fine in fullscreen expanded mode (where the overlay will disappear after a certain time of mouse inactivity). You might like to try setting inactivityTimout to a value smaller that its default of 4 seconds.

The Info Button will override the default overlay behavior but at least it allows the user to toggle the overlay on and off at will.

I hope these suggestions help.

Steven wrote:

I notice that your 3x gallery sets useFullScreenExpand="TRUE". When the gallery is expanded, it will occupy the entire screen (rather than just the browser window) so there is no area outside the gallery that the user can move the mouse into.

Yes, I chose to make it "true" on purpose, because otherwise it doesn't do nothing else than hide my header with the clickable links. Are you sure you can't make a "South of the border" zone below the screen? I've used some programs that do so.

Steven wrote:

A workaround might be to set useFullscreenExpand="FALSE" so that the gallery expands only within the browser window. There will always be an area outside the gallery (the browser's address bar) where the user can move the mouse to have the overlay disappear.

I set it to "false" on 03, but it really doesn't do a lot.

Steven wrote:

Alternatively, inactivityTimeout still works fine in fullscreen expanded mode (where the overlay will disappear after a certain time of mouse inactivity). You might like to try setting inactivityTimout to a value smaller that its default of 4 seconds.

Now we got to the point. It turned out, that the person who informed me about this matter uses a Chrome browser. I, have used IE11 just for the gallery testing, and I've set it to check for newer version every time I visit a webpage. It's very convenient. However, it seems that this inactivityTimeout function doesn't work on Chrome or IE. On Firefox, which is my default browser it works as it should.
Is here something, that you could do in some other way in the next update, to make this function work more universally?

Are you sure you can't make a "South of the border" zone below the screen?

I don't know if this is possible or how easy it would be to implement but perhaps the best thing to do would be to suggest this in the Feature Requests thread where it will be seen by the developers.

I set it to "false" on 03, but it really doesn't do a lot.

This will depend on the size of your embedded gallery. If you have an embedded gallery which is quite small relative to the browser window size, then it will be expanded to a greater degree than if you have a larger gallery to start with.

However, it seems that this inactivityTimeout function doesn't work on Chrome or IE.

It seems to work fine in Chrome 42 and IE 11 on my PC in my own test galleries.
Please let me know which of your galleries you are referring to and I will take a look to see if I can see the problem for myself.

Steven wrote:

It seems to work fine in Chrome 42 and IE 11 on my PC in my own test galleries.
Please let me know which of your galleries you are referring to and I will take a look to see if I can see the problem for myself.

I haven't got an answer from my friend with the Chrome browser yet, but I did some testing with IE 11 on my Win7/64. The trouble with the inactivityTimeout does not seem to be caused by any of my own test-galleries, because your http://www.juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/ behaved just the same. If I leave the mouse cursor smack dab in the middle of the picture, no countdown ever starts. The Overlay Info does not disappear by itself, as it does in Firefox 37. In Firefox, it works okay both in Expanded, and in normal mode.

Just heard from my Chrome using friend, and yess, she hadn't been patient 'nuff. After a few seconds the Captions had disappeared in both screen modes.
I went through, and loosened most of the security settings in my IE 11, but no, I couldn't get it to hide the Captions.
Any hints what to check?

The inactivityTimeout (default value of four seconds) seems to work fine in the demo gallery you quoted (http://www.juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/) in IE 11 on my own PC (all default settings).

Try resetting your Internet Explorer settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/inte … s#ie=ie-11
... and also try temporarily disabling any extensions that you have installed ('Options -> Manage add-ons') which might somehow be interfering with the gallery's functionality.

Steven wrote:

The inactivityTimeout (default value of four seconds) seems to work fine in the demo gallery you quoted (http://www.juicebox.net/demos/lite/full/) in IE 11 on my own PC (all default settings).

Try resetting your Internet Explorer settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/inte … s#ie=ie-11
... and also try temporarily disabling any extensions that you have installed ('Options -> Manage add-ons') which might somehow be interfering with the gallery's functionality.

Now I have to answer no, no, no, no and no. :) The first four nos are for resetting IE. I tried it in four different ways. "Delete personal settings", both YES and NO. After restart: "Use recommended settings", both YES and NO. And yessiree, I also disabled all Extensions. A sixth no can be added from testing it on my old PC, which has IE 10.

The ONLY way to get the Captions off the screen in any of my IEs, is to drag the mouse off the gallery, and then the Caption disappears rightaway. If I leave the the mouse anywhere on the gallery, it remains there. This I tested with both yours, and mine galleries.
Sump'n ain't right here... :|

That's certainly pretty strange. The overlay disappears in our test gallery and your own gallery in IE 11 on my own PC once the inactivityTimeout period has expired. I've checked on another PC, too. I also see no problem in IE 10 Document Mode within IE 11 (via F12 developer toolbar) and no other users have reported such an issue.
It seems that the problem may somehow be isolated to your own systems although it's certainly strange that both your PCs exhibit the problem and I cannot see the problem on either of mine.

Try a test gallery with a very short inactivityTimeout, just in case your mouse is moving very slightly within the default four seconds which is causing the timeout to reset (and the overlay to never disappear).

This is unlikely to be the cause (as it doesn't seem to happen when viewing the galleries in your other browsers) but I'm just thinking out loud in case it helps.

It's a long shot but do you have any security software installed on both your PCs which might somehow be interfering with things?
I just can't think of anything else that might be causing the problem in your IE browsers but not mine.