Topic: Caption Overlay moves down on thumbnail row refresh [SOLVED]

You can see my problem at the gallery I have setup at https://df2015.icc.or.at/photos: in fullscreen mode, there are 10 thumbnails below the main image. When the main image (displayed in autoplay mode) changes from # 10 to 11, the thumbnails row refreshes from [1 - 10] to [11 - 20]. The caption area on the main image's overlay moves down out of the image when image 11 is displayed. The same happens on changing from 30 to 31 and from 40 to 1.

Re: Caption Overlay moves down on thumbnail row refresh [SOLVED]

I am unable to see the problem when viewing your gallery in Chrome, Firefox or IE11 on my PC.
What browser (or browsers) to you see the problem in?
Also, does the problem happen only in expanded mode or also in normal mode?

I notice that your gallery uses Juicebox-Pro v1.4.4 which was released only a week ago.
Try completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery's web page to make sure that your browser is not using cached files from previous versions of Juicebox-Pro.

Thank you for your quick reply. The problem is there with the latest versions of Firefox (38.0.5), Chrome (43.0) and IE (11.0) on both Windows 8.1 and 7. I have tested it on several different computers. The browser cache is completely cleared.

Please view the gallery, expand it to fullscreen mode, and let the AutoPlay turned on. You will see the problem while viewing image 11, 31 and 1 (after the last image).

I see the problem now in a large desktop monitor. (I was previously using my laptop.)
The problem is seen only when there is space between the main image and the thumbnails (which is why you see the problem only in expanded mode and I did not see the problem on my laptop).

The problem seems to be due to setting imageTransitionType="CROSS_FADE" and it is not directly related to the AutoPlay functionality.
If you are currently viewing the last thumbnail on a thumbnail page and manually navigate to the next image using the main image navigation button, the problem can be seen.

I have logged a bug report with the developers and this should hopefully be fixed in the next version of Juicebox-Pro.

In the meantime, possible workarounds would be to either:
(1) Set imageTransitionType to SLIDE, FADE or NONE.
... or:
(2) Make your gallery images larger so that, even on large monitors or in expanded mode, the images fill the image area from top to bottom (so that the problem cannot be seen).

Thank you very much Steven for your excellent support! Changing imageTransitionType from CROSS_FADE to SLIDE did the trick with Juicebox-Pro v1.4.4 on the transitions from image 10 to 11 and 30 to 31, however, the problem still persists on the transition from image 40 to 1 (last one to first one). Do you also have a workaround for this last remaining problem? Thanks!

Thank you for pointing this out. I have noted it in my bug report.
Unfortunately, the only workaround for this seems to be my second suggestion above (to make your gallery images larger so that they always fill the image area top to bottom so that the problem cannot be seen).

OK, I can live with this single problem for now, and prefer to wait for Juicebox v1.4.4.1 which hopefully will have the bug fixed. Thank you.

Just a thought which might help either yourself or anyone else reading this thread...
You could perhaps change the captionPosition. Maybe not an ideal solution but it might be a suitable workaround until the bug is fixed.

I have updated Juicebox to v1.4.4.1, and it solved the remaining problem (transition from last to first image). Great!

That's great to hear!
Thank you for posting back to let me know.