1 (edited by robertf57 2014-10-21 22:11:50)

Topic: Can I use Juicebox in standalone HTML site?

I'm building a site using Django and Python.  It's not Wordpress or Drupal or anything like that.  I'd like to include a responsive photo gallery feature.  What I will be doing is passing a list of photo indicies to a Django HTML "template" page.  The template will then display each photo (001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc.) in the photo gallery.  Can I do this with JuiceBox by just embedding the Embed Code as shown in the Embedding Guide?  It doesn't look like it.  I need to do all this programmatically so I don't want to have to use any "JuiceboxBuilder."  I just want to drop whatever JavaScript and CSS files the gallery plugin requires into my HTML page and go.

Is what I'm describing possible with Juicebox?  If so, are there any code samples on the Juicebox site that show how this is done?  I couldn't find anything.  JB sounds like a great product but I'm a developer writing code for a large commercial site, not an individual who want to post some pictures on their personal website.  I'll have hundreds of users uploading photos so I can sit at a JuiceboxBuilder console and constantly rebuild each user's photo gallery.

Thanks.

Re: Can I use Juicebox in standalone HTML site?

You can create a gallery manually (using the 'web' gallery from the download zip package as a template) by following the instructions here (with no need to use JuiceboxBuilder-Pro).
You can then embed the gallery into a web page by following the instructions here.

When creating a gallery manually, you would normally list the images to be displayed in the gallery using <image> tags in a static XML file. However, you could dynamically generate the gallery's XML file with a server-side scripting language. An example of how this could be achieved can be found in this forum post. It uses PHP to display all images in a designated folder. However, you could use a different scripting language and could pull in image URLs from a completely different source if you like. As long as your gallery's XML file uses the correct format (see the 'web/config.xml' file for an example), the images should display fine.

This will work equally well with both Juicebox-Lite (the free version) and Juicebox-Pro so you could try it out with Juicebox-Lite before purchasing Juicebox-Pro.
Juicebox-Lite can be downloaded from this web page.

I hope this helps.

Re: Can I use Juicebox in standalone HTML site?

Thanks for your prompt reply!  I'll take a look at the code you described tomorrow.