Topic: caption darkening bar [SOLVED]

On the latest upgrade, I noticed that the caption darkening bar has now disappeared and it is much harder to read the white text when it appears directly over the photograph.  I can't find any way to add that darkening bar back.  Does anyone know how to do that?

Re: caption darkening bar [SOLVED]

Juicebox-Pro v1.4.4 introduced the captionBackTopColor configuration option. Please see the Version History for a list of changes between versions.
You can now set captionBackColor and captionBackTopColor independently of each other and the two colors will blend in the middle.
The default value for captionBackColor is rgba(0,0,0,0.3) and the default value for captionBackColor is rgba(0,0,0,0) (fully transparent). (Default values for all configuration options can be found on the Config Options page.)

If you want the entire caption area to have a consistent background, set captionBackTopColor to be the same as captionBackColor.
To replicate the default caption area color of versions prior to v1.4.4, set captionBackTopColor="rgba(0,0,0,0.3)" (black with an opacity value of 0.3) in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Color' section.

Thanks for the tip.  That should take care of that issue.  I do wish they'd stop fixing things that are not broken, but as long as we can get it back to the old defaults.  Another problem that they created was to cause captions to disappear after a few seconds, which isn't always enough time to read them.  But I fixed that by setting the default to 1700 seconds.

For others reading this thread, the time before the overlay is hidden is determined by the inactivityTimeout configuration option (in JuiceboxBuilder-Pro's 'Customize -> Main Image' section). Its default value is 4 (seconds) and the inactivity timeout can be disabled by setting its value to 0.

Might I suggest this becomes a sticky topic? I recently upgraded to 1.4.4.2 and just noticed the problem and, quick luckily, discovered this topic which resolved the problem for me, too.

I don't know if JB Support is aware of it, but the preview shown in the Adobe Air engine is quite different than the browser view. This provides a false sense of security when using the software and it was only a chance encounter checking an existing gallery after replacing the core directory on my server did I discover the problem.

... the preview shown in the Adobe Air engine is quite different than the browser view.

This is a known issue which is noted in the JuiceboxBuilder User Guide.
Adobe AIR's built-in browser does not support all CSS 3 properties which results in gradients and shadows not being rendered correctly. (This happens only in the JuiceboxBuilder live preview and not in modern browsers.)
Adobe recently upgraded their browser in Lightroom 6 (which now renders gradients and shadows correctly) so I am hopeful that they will soon do likewise with their browser in Adobe AIR.

Steven, thanks for the tip about setting the inactivityTimeout to 0.  That helped a lot.

I did have a question for future reference.  I'm realizing now that I have to keep up with all the updates each time you post one.  I found out that my captions were no longer showing up on iPads.  I hadn't gone through and updated after your last couple of updates.  The reason why is that it takes me like 3 hours at least to update the slideshows on my site and it's very tiring.  But once I updated everything to the current version, the captions and everything else was working fine.  Here's my question:  The next time you release an update, is there a way for me to install the update to each slideshow on my site without going through and opening up and then re-saving each individual slideshow... and at the same time keep my settings of captionBackTopColor and inactivityTimeout?  Or will these automatically revert to the default if I just transfer over the new jbcore folder?  I'm using 117 slideshows to showcase my hiking pictures so as you can imagine that's a lot of work.

If you would like to be notified when new versions are released, then please join the mailing list at the foot of our homepage, keep an eye on our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter @JuiceboxGallery or subscribe to our blog RSS feed.

When a new version is released, all you need to do to upgrade a gallery is replace the gallery's 'jbcore'. The gallery's configuration options (which are stored in the XML file or the embedding code) will be unaffected.

If you have many galleries, you can have them all share a single instance of a 'jbcore' folder by following the instructions here.
Then, when a new version is released, you can upgrade all your galleries at once by replacing a single 'jbcore' folder on your web server.

Alternatively, if each of your galleries has its own 'jbcore' folder, you could perhaps use the Python script that wspollack has written to automate the process of replacing multiple 'jbcore' folders on a web server. It can be found in this forum thread.
(Please note that this is an unofficial script written by a user rather than ourselves and you should use it at your own risk.)

Thanks, Steven.  One question.  I'm not using the embed code on my web site.  I simply provide a link to the photos in a gallery, someone clicks on the link, and someone gets to watch the slideshow.  Is it still possible for me to set up an External jbcore Folder?  How do I get that code saved within an individual slideshow?

Yes. As long as all your galleries are on the same domain, there there should be no problem with them sharing a single 'jbcore' folder somewhere on your server. (It does not matter whether the galleries are embedded in existing web pages alongside other content or embedded on pages of their own.)
For each of your galleries, just check the 'index.html' file for the following line of code and adjust the path so that it points to your shared 'jbcore' folder.

<script src="jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>