Topic: Zoom

Hello,

we - the state library of vorarlberg (austria) - are developing a web-based image plattform for historical material.
for example: http://pid.volare.vorarlberg.at/o:61872

Is it possible to make images zoomable in juicebox pro?
This is a requirement in our projekt ...

Best regards
Harald Eberle

Re: Zoom

Juicebox-Pro does not have any built-in zoom functionality.
You would need to use your browser's own zoom functionality (or perhaps a browser extension).

There is a work-around to enable zooming, by using Zoomify.

I use a button in the Caption to link to a page showing a Zoomified version of the picture (Zoomify breaks large files into small pieces: as you zoom in, you only download the parts you are looking at). For example:  http://www.brianwatsonphoto.co.uk/Pano/index.html#1.

For this <image>, my  config.xml file looks like this:

<image imageURL="images/tyneglow8938.jpg"
         thumbURL="thumbs/tyneglow8938.jpg"
          linkURL="z/tyneglow8938.html"
    smallImageURL="images/small/tyneglow8938.jpg">
    <title><![CDATA[The Glow on the Tyne]]></title>
    <caption><![CDATA[7,004 x 2,774 pixels <form><button type="submit" formaction='z/tyneglow8938.html' formmethod='post'>Zoom…</button></form>]]></caption>
  </image>

This lets me display high resolution versions of my quite detailed panoramas.

The only drawback is that the button won't stay on the same line as the Caption: it appears on the line below.

Hope this helps,

Brian

@kilooloogung

As you are aware, your suggestion does not allow for zooming within the gallery itself (it uses a link in a caption to navigate away from the gallery and towards an external page loading the image and the Zoomify JavaScript library) but it certainly might be an acceptable solution for the original poster (or any other users reading this thread who want to include the ability to zoom into gallery images, although not necessarily inside the gallery) so thank you for sharing.

The only drawback is that the button won't stay on the same line as the Caption: it appears on the line below.

Try moving your opening <form> tag to before your "7,004 x 2,774 pixels" text:

<caption><![CDATA[<form>7,004 x 2,774 pixels<button type="submit" formaction='z/tyneglow8938.html' formmethod='post'>Zoom…</button></form>]]></caption>

Steven,

Quite right, it does involve moving out of Juicebox, but as you agree might be a solution to the original poster.

Thanks for the hint about my button positioning: it works (of course), with an addition to prevent the font size in the Caption becoming larger.

Many thanks, yet again!

Brian

Many thanks, yet again!

You're welcome!

Steven,
The solution above works in OS X and on iPads. On my iPhone, screen touches anywhere hides Title, Caption (including my button) and Button Bar, so a touch on the button never registers on a phone.

Setting screenMode="LARGE" in config.xml seems to make no difference.

Is there a way to get my useful button to register presses on an iPhone?

Here's an example: http://www.brianwatsonphoto.co.uk/Pano/index.html#1

Thanks,

Brian

Oops, discovered where screenMode should go. It does work but LARGE looks horrible on a small screen. so that's not the answer...

Brian

On my iPhone, screen touches anywhere hides Title, Caption (including my button) and Button Bar, so a touch on the button never registers on a phone.

Tapping the screen on an iPhone toggles the overlay on and off by default (you can override this behavior by setting showInfoButton="TRUE") but tapping a button on the Button Bar should certainly still work. If you have a gallery where this does not work, please post a link so that I can investigate further. (I have just viewed the gallery whose link you posted and the Button Bar buttons seem to function fine on my own iOS device.) Also, check to see if you have any custom CSS which might be overriding the gallery's own CSS.

Is there a way to get my useful button to register presses on an iPhone?

Instead of using a <form> tag, try using a regular <a> tag instead. You can then style the content of the tag using CSS.
This should hopefully work. (The <a> tag link in the first image in this demo gallery works on my iPod Touch.)

10 (edited by kilooloogung 2016-10-12 16:06:24)

Steven,

Your suggestion works perfectly, and uses clearer more elegant code, which is always better. There is an <a> tag on the splash screen, but once I gave my styled <a> button a class, it just worked.

Sorry about my error in saying the Button Bar disappears when the screen is tapped: it doesn't. All buttons have always worked properly; only my custom button disappeared and did not register taps.

Many thanks for superb and rapid support!

Brian

You're welcome!
I'm glad my suggestion worked for you. Thanks for letting me know.