Topic: auto rotate photos

Just downloaded the Lite and created my 1:st gallery - and my first problem was: photos in portrait, which has a "Orientation - Left bottom" tag, isn't viewed in portrait but ... landscape.
So I had to make (temporary) copies of the portrait ones (most of the first gallery pics) and perform a (lossless) rotation. (Thanks to Irfanview)

Can't find any info on auto rotated photos. Only found issues regarding rotated hand held devices. (searched "rotat*" and also tried "auto" )

Re: auto rotate photos

Some imaging programs such as Adobe Photoshop have the ability to read the EXIF orientation flag and display the image in the orientation specified by the flag but other programs (such as JuiceboxBuilder-Lite) do not read EXIF information and just display the image as it is.
Unfortunately, there is little consistency, even between different web browsers.
If you are having problems with the orientation of a specific image and view it directly in Mozilla Firefox, (if you drag and drop the image into an open tab or window), you will likely see your image displayed in a different orientation than if you were to open the same image in Google Chrome.

Unfortunately, no matter what decision is taken regarding EXIF orientation (whether or not to use it at all and, if using it, how to interpret it) there seems to be no single solution which will work for everyone.
This link (whilst a little out of date now) certainly makes for interesting reading.

The only way to ensure that your images will be displayed as you expect in all browsers and programs would be to strip the EXIF information from the images (by re-saving the images in an imaging program and choosing not to keep the EXIF information) and then rotate your images until they visibly look correct.

However, JuiceboxBuilder-Lite does have the ability to rotate images on the 'Images' tab (see the 'Rotate' arrow near the lower-right corner of the screen in the first screenshot on this page) so you can rotate images within JuiceboxBuilder-Lite without the need to re-save them without the EXIF information first.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the attention to this!

I went back and tried and, ..., hmmm, it works for one pic at the time. But for multiselect the rotation ability disappears.
For more than a few portrait pics it's faster to rotate in some other program as I did.
I suggest the rotation function takes multiselect (and single) and is available in the Images drop down menu - where I expect all image related functions to be found. (I also tried right clicking an image (and images) but nothing there. Not that important. Just tried.)
Your ref. addresses problems to interpret rotation info correctly. It doesn't mention any ambiguities how rotation is marked up.

I used to use Porta to produce albums. It's built on Simpleviewer. It does rotation correct. (Haven't tried all 8 positions. Just 3 or 4). Irfanview is another which I use and does the job. I suggest it's added to Juicebox as well.

Another thing, for conveniance I suggest a album/gallery default directory is <location-of-pics>/album (or a synonym) and that it is created by Juicebox when I accept the suggested name and location. A warning for an existing non empty directory.

If you have found a workflow that works for you (and results in a gallery with your images oriented correctly) then I would recommend that you continue using it.
As you have discovered, the rotation functionality within JuiceboxBuilder is available for individual images only (and not for a selection of images).
Also, as you suspect, different camera and mobile device manufacturers have been known to signify similar orientations with different (incorrect) EXIF orientation values. This can lead to further confusion and problems when dealing with such data.
Please post any suggestions for future versions of Juicebox, in the Feature Requests forum thread. This keeps them all together and ensures that they are not overlooked. Thank you.